Published November 18, 2011
The Second Mile, founded in 1977 by Jerry Sandusky to help at-risk youths, has faced its own share of scrutiny in the wake of Sandusky’s arrest on charges he sexually abused eight boys over 15 years. He is accusesd of preying on boys he met through the charity.
The charity now is looking to find other organizations able to take over its programs, David Woodle, Second Mile’s chief executive, told the Times.
“We’re working hard to figure out how the programs can survive this event,” Woodle said. “We aren’t protective of the organization that it survives at all costs.”
The news comes on the same day Penn State revealed it had been told the NCAA will examine how school officials handled the child sex abuse scandal, which has shocked the campus and cost the school’s former president and coach Joe Paterno their jobs.
NCAA president Mark Emmert sent a letter to Penn State president Rod Erickson saying that the governing body for college sports will look at “Penn State’s exercise of institutional control over its intercollegiate athletics programs” in the case of Sandusky, the former defensive coordinator accused of 40 counts of child sex abuse.
Sandusky is accused of abusing some of the eight boys on campus. Among the charges is an alleged assault in 2002 that was not brought to the attention of police, according to a grand jury report, even though top officials at Penn State knew there was an accusation of inappropriate behavior.
The resulting scandal has tarnished the image of a once squeaky-clean football program that has prided itself on the slogan “Success with Honor.”
It also now appears to have brought down the charity Sandusky is suspected of using to find his victims.
The charity continued to pay Sandusky a consulting fee totaling nearly $500,000 over eight years, tax documents show, even though an attorney who reportedly worked with the charity — and who also served as a counsel to the university — knew Sandusky faced child sex abuse allegations in 1998.
Sandusky subsequently informed The Second Mile board in November 2008 that he was under investigation on new allegations. The charity then barred him from activities involving children, charity officials said.
The longtime head of Second Mile, Jack Raykovitz, resigned on Sunday, the latest casualty in the ongoing fallout of the Sandusky case, and was replaced by Woodle in the interim.