Published May 16, 2013
Posted CWN: May 17, 2013
March 29, 2013: People are taken into custody by U.S. Border Patrol near Falfurrias, Texas. (Reuters)
Hundreds of illegal immigrants with criminal records were released earlier this year as the Obama administration prepared for budget cuts, according to newly released data that challenged claims the program involved “low-risk” individuals.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement released the figures to two top senators, after a three-month delay and under the threat of congressional subpoenas.
Of the 2,226 detainees that were released in February, the department revealed, “622 have been identified as having some type of criminal conviction.”
A statement from Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Carl Levin, D-Mich., who received the stats, said 32 of them had multiple felony convictions. The department then “re-apprehended” 24 of those, the senators said, after realizing the “seriousness” of their crimes.
McCain called for those responsible to be punished.